Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Uncle John Turner Benefit Recap


If there is one concert that I wish I wouldn't have missed, it's got to be the benefit concert that Johnny Winter and friends did at Antone's in Austin this past summer in honor of Uncle John Turner. Turner was Johnny Winter's drummer in the late 60s and died of complications from Hepatitis C in July of this year. He was 62. I met him a number of years back in a bar in Austin and reminisced about a concert I saw him play with Tommy Shannon when they had a band called, "Krackerjack."

Turner later performed with such artists as Hendrix, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Muddy Waters and B.B. King.

“Man, I can set my watch to your time,” King is said to have once exclaimed after a jam with Uncle John, who played Woodstock with Winter.

No comments: