Monday, October 16, 2006

Eric "Slowhand" Clapton on Getting Older...and Slower

In an Associated Press article by Jeff Baene, legendary lead guitarist Eric Clapton sings the blues about getting older.

"I think I'm definitely on the decline," the 61-year-old said a few hours before kicking off the North American leg of his world tour. He recently watched video of his 1997 blues tour and says he was "shocked by how much more proficient I was then than I am now."

"It was a good thing, in a way, because I get the reality of what my life is like," Clapton said. "I can't do what I used to be able to do, with my hands or my voice or anything."

"Most people would probably say, 'Oh, he sounds OK,' but we know, you know, that it will be a little bit lumpy," Clapton said, before he and his band blazed through a two-hour set heavy on such hits as "I Shot the Sheriff," "Wonderful Tonight" and "Layla."

He also spoke about his glorified status in rock -- which Clapton says he takes "with a pinch of salt.

"At the end of the day, it doesn't add up to much. It's just media backslapping. But if I can be friends and get admiration from the people that I admire -- musicians and artists alike -- that's how I kind of gauge my well-being, in that arena," Clapton said.

Read the entire article here.



No comments: